Shakespeare With Veterans program
Kentucky Shakespeare’s Shakespeare with Veterans program brings service members together, as a band of brothers and sisters, and provides the opportunity for camaraderie and a higher sense of purpose that represents what veterans loved most during our military service.
We work together as a team, under the instruction of a professional director/facilitator from Kentucky Shakespeare, to learn acting and ensemble techniques while gaining an appreciation of Shakespeare and how his works reflect the warrior culture.
Through the process of learning about Shakespeare, the group gets to know one another, promoting a dialogue about military experiences—good & bad. The group creates a safe environment of comradeship in which participants can discuss whatever is on their minds about their time in and out of service.
This year’s inaugural group consisted of five women and eight men. The Army, Air Force and Navy were represented with two Vietnam veterans, veterans of Desert Storm, the Cold War and OIF & OEF with former ranks from Sergeant to Brigadier General. This year’s program culminated with a pre-show performance on the Kentucky Shakespeare stage in Louisville’s Central Park.
This program is FREE for participants, thanks to our generous donors.
– “Shakespeare helps Kentucky veterans adjust to life after war” – Stars and Stripes, November 22, 2016
– “Shakespeare with Veterans for Suicide Prevention” – September 26, 2016
– “Sharing Through Shakespeare – Group Finds New Ways to Reach Veterans” – News and Tribune, September 22, 2016
– “Band of Brothers – Veterans Seek Solace in Shakespeare” – Huffington Post, August 11, 2016
– “Connecting Veterans to the Community they Served” – Americans for the Arts, July 29, 2016
– “Great Day Live” – WHAS 11, July 26, 2016
– “Vets Find Unlikely Therapy Tool in Shakespeare” – Insider Louisville, July 21, 2016
– “Veterans Take Stage With Shakespeare” – Courier-Journal, July 19, 2016
– “Kentucky Veterans Find Voice Through Shakespeare” – July 15, 2016
– “Local Veterans Express Emotions About War Through Shakespeare” – WDRB, July 7, 2016
– “Veterans to Perform With Kentucky Shakespeare Festival” – BroadwayWorld.com, July 14, 2016
– Summer 2017 – Kentucky Shakespeare Festival in Central Park pre-show performance
Meetings are on Thursdays
1347 S. 3rd Street #101
Louisville, Kentucky 40208
For more information contact: Fred Johnson at email@example.com for more info or visit www.kyshakespeare.com/vets
(photos by Holly Stone)